- This event has passed.
The Mindful Teacher Fall 2014
August 11, 2014 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Bringing Presence and Practices to Students
An Introduction to Mindfulness in K-5 Classrooms for Educators with Practices
45 hours/3 Credit Course
A new class during the 2014-15 school year for teachers who want to bring best practices in mindfulness to their students.
Who is this course for?
ECE-5 teachers or specialists who have taken SMART 1 or have a contemplative practice of their own.
For those who haven’t taken SMART 1 yet, a summer course will be offered for 8 weeks in Boulder during June and July on a weekday afternoon, from 4:30–6:30pm Specific dates and registration information will be posted on this page.
- Maintaining a personal mindfulness practice
- Bringing mindful presence to the classroom
- Skillfully leading developmentally appropriate mindfulness practices with students that focus on attention, emotional awareness, and kindness
- Promoting student engagement and leadership in mindfulness practices
- Developing capacities to reflect on and adapt mindfulness practices to the needs of each classroom
- Creating mindful physical and social environments in the classroom
- Participating in a collaborative, reflective cohort and building a supportive network to sustain personal and classroom practice
Who will teach the course?
Andra Brill and Linda Wallace will co-teach the course with assistance from current classroom teachers embodying and implementing mindfulness practices with their students.
Some of the details described above may change before or during the class in response to the needs/interests of participants or lessons learned along the way.
Whole Class Meetings – 30 Hours
- Monday evening, August 11 and Tuesday, August 12 8:00am-4:00pm
- Saturday October 11, 9:00am-3:30pm
- Saturday January 10, 9:00am-3:30pm
- Saturday March 7, 9:00am-3:30pm
Small Group meetings – 8 Hours
- After school on September 15, November 3, February 9, and April 13
Individual Coaching – 4 Hours for Each Participant
- Individually scheduled – phone/skype and in person
- 3 classroom observations as well as planning, modeling, problem solving
One Half Day Retreat (Required Participation) – 4 Hours
- Held by Educators with Practices or attending one of the SMART course retreats
Out of Class Assignments:
- Readings from assigned texts including The Mind Up Curriculum, Calm and Compassionate Children by Susan Usha Demond, The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well Being in Teachers and Children by Daniel Rechtschaffen, and A Still Quiet Place by Amy Saltzman.
- Written reflections on personal and classroom practice
- A final paper demonstrating the capacity to reflect on, compare and contrast, and adapt practices from course texts
- Practice logs recording 2 hours per week of personal practice
- Summary reflection and portfolio
To apply, please fill out the form to the right.
Please join us to ask questions and to find out more about the course!
- Tuesday, April 1, 3:30pm at Columbine Elementary School
- Wednesday, April 9, 3:30pm at Community Montessori Elementary School
- Deadline is Monday May 5, 9:00am
- Monday-Thursday, May 12 -15 & Monday, May 19, 3:30-6:00pm in Boulder
A 3-step application process is required to attend this course.
- Fill out the application form below.
- Have short form completed by your principal (download here), and email/fax/mail to PassageWorks
- Attend an interview with the Course Facilitators (interview slots are below)