Mindfulness is a natural human capacity to pay attention to our experience as it is happening in real time. When we intentionally cultivate this capacity through practice we enhance our ability to focus, to regulate our emotions and to extend compassion and kindness to ourselves and others.
When we infuse mindfulness throughout our day we not only reduce our stress and find better ways to respond to the challenges of life, but we also expand our capacity for joy and wonder.
An emerging field of research into the effects and benefits of mindfulness across diverse populations and in diverse settings is providing compelling and growing evidence that cultivating mindfulness through regular practice enhances physical, social and emotional well-being.
PassageWorks Institute offers a growing ecosystem of mindfulness programming. Most of these opportunities are eligible for graduate credit from Colorado State University. They include:
- SMART in Education 1: Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques in Education™
- A 20-hour, 8-week evidenced-based personal renewal program designed especially for faculty and staff working in ECE-12 settings. It is one of only two researched mindfulness programs for educators and others who work in schools. It is the center of a growing ecosystem of mindfulness offerings from PassageWorks.
- SMART in Education 2
- An 20-hour, 7-week program that builds on the topics and practices introduced in SMART in Education 1.
- The Mindful Teacher: Bringing Presence and Practices to the Classroom
- A year-long program for those who have completed SMART 1 or have had an equivalent introduction to a personal mindfulness practice.
- Mindfulness Learning Community: A Practice Network for Educators
- Monthly meetings to support an ongoing personal practice and bringing a mindful presence to the classroom. This is offered to those who have completed SMART 1 or have had an equivalent introduction to a personal mindfulness practice
- Working with the Stress of School Leadership: An Introduction to Mindfulness for Principals and Assistant Principals
- A two-night retreat in the mountains to introduce mindfulness to building leaders.
- Half Day Mindfulness Retreats
- Monthly gatherings throughout the school year to support and renew a personal mindfulness practice. Open to any educator who has already been introduced to mindfulness practices.
- Introduction to Mindfulness and Stress Reduction Workshops
- Custom tailored offerings for schools and districts that build on the SMART in Education curriculum. These can range from one hour to one day, from one session to several.
Partnerships and Collaborations:
- SMART ASIA
PassageWorks/SMART in Education, USA and Asian Mindfulness Dojo (AMD), Singapore have agreed to collaborate. Click here for more information.
For more information on bringing mindfulness to your school or district, please contact Rona Wilensky, Director of Mindfulness Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org.