- This event has passed.
SEL & Equity in the Classroom – Denver, October 4-5, 2019
October 4, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
A practical relationship-based approach to creating caring, rigorous, inclusive learning communities that support equitable outcomes for all students.
This highly experiential course for K-12 educators will offer core practices and principles that foster students’ social, emotional, and academic development and create inclusive and engaging learning environments. Educators will experience practical tools and strategies that support students to excel academically, think creatively and critically, develop their leadership capacities, manage their emotions, work with others who are different from themselves, and communicate effectively. Participants will collaborate on developing new approaches and classroom strategies that engage all students, with awareness of their race, gender, ethnic background or learning style.
This course will explore ways educators can:
- systematically create a caring and inclusive learning community where students increase focus and motivation, develop empathy and compassion, and experience a sense of meaning and purpose
- participate in creating a thriving culturally responsive school climate
- integrate equity with social, emotional and academic learning in any content area
- utilize focusing activities, mindfulness, symbolic and creative expression, and community building in any classroom
- develop and sustain an intentional teaching practice through the ‘teaching presence’ framework (engaging our self-observer, being present, expanding our emotional range, practicing respectful discipline, teaching with an open heart)
- reconnect with our “spark” for teaching
Friday, October 4, 8:30am – 4:30pm (Breakfast and lunch will be served)
Saturday, October 5, 8:30am – 4:30pm (Breakfast and lunch will be served)
Free registration for TDF CSD Cohort Schools Only
(Supported by a grant from Rose Women’s Organization, an initiative of Rose Community Foundation)
General registration: $550
(Scholarships available for teams of 3 or more. Please email Vinita Unny at firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
All participants are eligible to earn one (1) graduate credit through Colorado State University (CSU) for an additional price of $61 payable to CSU. Details to follow in the welcome letter.
PassageWorks reserves the right to cancel courses. We attempt to provide at least 2 weeks advance notice of course cancellations. In the unlikely event that your training course does not take place after your registration has been confirmed, we will process a full refund of your course fees.